Call for Directors of the Board
Call for Directors of the Board
YYZ ARTISTS’ OUTLET Board of Directors (Volunteer Position)
We are currently accepting applications to join YYZ Artists’ Outlet’s Board of Directors for a 3-year term.
YYZ Artists’ Outlet seeks energetic and committed collaborators to actively participate in the programming, strategic planning, and leadership of YYZ Artists’ Outlet as members of the Board of Directors. YYZ’s Board is comprised of individuals possessing a variety of perspectives, disciplines, skills and expertise. We are committed to reflecting diversity in our composition and encourage applications from individuals of indigenous and diverse cultural heritage, as well as individuals of non-binary gender identities and with different abilities. Currently, we are particularly interested in applications from individuals who shares a keen interest in art; however, are not necessarily arts professionals. Because we are seeking insight and input toward the development, execution and championing of a new strategic plan, candidates with experience in fundraising and fiscal management, promotions, program development and oversight, and other development activities required to guide our organizational mission are especially encouraged.
AUTHORITY and RESPONSIBILITY of BOARD MEMBERS:
The Board of Directors is the legal authority for YYZ Artists’ Outlet (YYZ). As a member of the Board, a Director acts in a position of trust for the community and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization.
YYZ’s Board meets monthly or bi-monthly depending on need. Estimated time commitment is 10-12 hours per month, including meetings, correspondence and individual tasks that support staff on a project-by-project basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Attend and participate in the scheduled Board and Programming Committee meetings;
• Attend and support special events and YYZ functions;
• Approve, where appropriate, policy and other recommendations received from the Board, its standing committees and YYZ management;
• Monitor all Board and governance policies, review the Board’s structure, approve changes and prepare the necessary bylaw amendments;
• Participate in the development of YYZ’s annual programming and operating goals and objectives;
• Approve YYZ’s annual budget;
• Approve the hiring and release of YYZ senior management;
• Actively participate in fundraising.
PREVIOUS BOARD/COMMITTEE EXPERIENCE:
• Knowledge of local, national and international contemporary artistic practices;
• Interest in volunteerism;
• Good communication, management, delegation and follow-up skills;
• Commitment to YYZ’s goals and mandate;
• Available time to participate in Board and committee activities;
• A YYZ member (or willingness to become a member);
WHO WE ARE
YYZ supports critical and experimental artistic practices through exhibitions, publishing, educational programs and the commissioning of new works. By prioritizing the agency of artists, YYZ provides a unique platform for building communities and advancement of culture.
YYZ is an artist-centric environment. We place the artist at the centre of all activities and advocate for fair remuneration, balanced representation, and creative freedom. YYZ fosters collaboration in both our internal operations and our programming activities. Internally, we act on consensus and encourage dialogue. Externally, we engage with other institutions and work closely with artists. YYZ promotes openness. We provide multiple entry points to YYZ and its activities and seek to reach and cultivate audiences locally and beyond.
EXPRESSIONS of INTEREST
YYZ Artists’ Outlet Board of Directors will consider expressions of interest on an ongoing basis until the position(s) are filled. Please send a (250-word maximum) statement of interest with CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
YYZ Artists’ Outlet 140-401 Richmond St. W. Toronto, ON M5V 3A8